Hot damn, full Laserdisk emu!

Discuss all your experiences of the world of Arcade Emulation

Moderator: Silverhaze

Postby RabidYak on Sun Jun 10, 2001 8:50 pm

Holy crap, just payed my not-so-regular visit to emustats and it turns out that the guy who codes Daphne has managed to dump a disk to mpeg format and make it playable without the need for the original disks and an external player.

Althougth 99% of LD games are crap and the mpeg dumps are about 300megs each, its still damn interesting and cool to see that full LD emu can be done.

If you wanna see for youselfs, go to emustatus.rainemu.com .
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Damian on Sun Jun 10, 2001 9:23 pm

Now all we need is someone to emulate Dragon's Lair and games like Mad Dog Macree.
Damian
PCB Ultimate Emulator
PCB Ultimate Emulator

Postby Silverhaze on Sun Jun 10, 2001 10:03 pm

LOL Yeah if you got a weather predicting super computer to play em on.

Saying that, what kinda PC WILL they run at full speed on? I assume a fat scussy HD would help but what about processor?
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby RabidYak on Sun Jun 10, 2001 10:10 pm

This guy will probably do Dragons Lair since Daphne already supports it with original disks, and its probably identical hardware to the one hes just done. Space Ace should fall into ths category as well.

I doubt he'll do Mad Dog Mcree since Daphne only does Cinematronics (of "buying crap games off Atari" fame) LD games and that is made by American Laser.

Once its all worked out and going im sure he'll release the info to other emu devs so they can get stuck into the stuff made by other companies.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby RabidYak on Sun Jun 10, 2001 10:14 pm

SH - I should imagine youll need something reasonable, but nothing gargantum considering its 17-year old hardware. The Hardware end of it has already been done for ages in Daphne and MAME anyway.

Most of the power would probably go into simulating the LD player, handling the mpeg file access and dealing with those helluva highres images.

[ 10 June 2001: Message edited by: RabidYak ]
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby ivwshane on Mon Jun 11, 2001 2:48 am

So where are the images? Have they been released yet.

Am I the only one who doesn't play the games I've downloaded? I just like collecting them for some reason.
ivwshane
PCB Conqueror
PCB Conqueror

Postby Pdaimaoh on Mon Jun 11, 2001 3:51 am

you are sick and twisted, only foul freaks download roms they don't play! ugh! did you at least play them when you owned the original only? yeesh

and where are these magical laserdiscs dumped at??
I found a great site for laserdisc gaming, a long time ago, and they had JUST gotten information of freedom force or whatever it was called, it was made with ripped scenes from galaxy express 999, and dammit, it was cool!
Pdaimaoh
PCB Baron
PCB Baron

Postby ivwshane on Mon Jun 11, 2001 10:32 am

Oh yeah I played every game for days on end. I found myself not having alot of time to play the games all the way through and I started to only play quick games or games I could pick up and put down without worrying about saving my spot. I think it was the final fantasy series on psx that did it to me, after getting to disc two and having my friend delete my memory card, I had had enough and really never wanted to play a long game again.
ivwshane
PCB Conqueror
PCB Conqueror

Postby Silverhaze on Mon Jun 11, 2001 1:25 pm

I know what you mean shane, I stopped playing Deus Ex and moved back to Unreal Tournament. Did the same with Black & White too. Must be that I'm impatient but I really have to be in the mood to play a long game now.

As for mame, I own and play every one of the 578 roms I have downloaded. The boards do take up a lot of space but thats not really an issue in my 15 bedroom country abode. [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Back in the world of reality, I like to collect them too and have only played about half of the roms I own. I'm currently doing the snap shots for mame to make navigating easier on people that dont know which games are which. Damn that shit takes a long time, I'm currently on the Ms and have been doing it for days now. I should stop having a quick go of each rom as I do the shot really.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby adidas on Mon Jun 11, 2001 3:32 pm

I stopped playing Final Fantasy too, after I fogot to back-up my saved games before I formatted my hard drive (idiot!)

I don't understand why anyone would want to stop playing Deus Ex, I think that was the best game to come out for PC in a while!

I play most of the roms I download. I have several hundred SNES roms, and I play them a lot. Especially the ones I used to play with friends on a real SNES.

I'm glad that I've downloaded a lot of roms that I wasn't familiar with, because I've found some good games that way. Just this weekend I was going through my SNES collection and found Illusion of Gaia (it's a pretty cool game)

I feel the same way about my TG16, Genesis, and NES roms. I have several hundred of each, I downloaded all that I could, I go through and see which ones I like that I'm not familiar with. I usually stick to the ones that I owned, though.

I would delete the ones that suck, but I don't think I can bear to delete something that took so much time to acquire.

As for arcade roms, I don't download that many, really. I play my CPS2 roms more than the rest of the MAME roms. If I play any other MAME, I'm probably playing Pac-man or Galaga. Those are two machines I've fed enough quarters into and I feel I've contributed enough money to Namco on those two.

Of course, if I hadn't ever spent money on these games, that wouldn't stop me from playing them. It just so happens the games I play most often are games I've spent money on in the past.

[ 11 June 2001: Message edited by: adidas ]
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby Silverhaze on Mon Jun 11, 2001 9:46 pm

I have this strange ability to remember games that I saw as a kid once or twice but never played. These are the ones I play now mostly.
Dial games I tend to avoid because its trickier using the shoulder buttons. (Forgotten Worlds exempt) I'd love to play Ikari warriors and Midnight Resistance on a proper dial stick again as I find the 8 position format tricky on a pad.
Games that I played a lot I tend to only play every now and then like Super Contra and SF2. I dont have any SNES roms and only a few MegaDrive roms its all mainly arcade/neogeo and Amiga.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby Damian on Mon Jun 11, 2001 9:54 pm

No SNES ROMS?? Sinner!!
Damian
PCB Ultimate Emulator
PCB Ultimate Emulator

Postby were on Mon Jun 11, 2001 10:00 pm

not even supermario?...must be hell

actually, there is no one good snes (or genesis)site out there..hmmm...
were
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby Damian on Mon Jun 11, 2001 10:38 pm

Try http://www.PE2000.NET

Damn, maybe we should create a pe forum?
Damian
PCB Ultimate Emulator
PCB Ultimate Emulator

Postby RabidYak on Mon Jun 11, 2001 11:25 pm

I have a tendancy not to delete ROMs, especially arcade stuff since ill just end up getting it again when I go for the full MAME set.

The CPS-2 stuff is probably some of the least-used ROMs on my HD, I maced allot of the games the first time round and there isnt exactly a good cross-section of games there anyway (pratically zero nostalgia value as well).
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Pdaimaoh on Tue Jun 12, 2001 1:21 am

I got rid of most of the CPS2 stuff when I realized that the urge to play em usually comes at the same time I don't mind hooking up my Saturn and playing with a great pad

heh, and I never delete stuff, I just put it on a CDR and forget I have it...til I remember four months later and kill myself staying up all night trying to figure out which CDR labelled "emulation" actually has what I want...ugh!
Pdaimaoh
PCB Baron
PCB Baron

Postby adidas on Tue Jun 12, 2001 1:35 am

Ditto on the cdr's, I don't know what I did with DraculaX for TG16
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby ivwshane on Tue Jun 12, 2001 4:51 am

Yeah I really need to stop labeling my cd as roms ans misc, it's starting to be a pain is the butt.
ivwshane
PCB Conqueror
PCB Conqueror

Postby adidas on Tue Jun 12, 2001 4:59 am

What kills me is I have one of those labelling systems to make your cd's a little nicer looking, and I'm too lazy to use it. I'll learn someday if I ever lose a cd that I give a shit about
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby Silverhaze on Tue Jun 12, 2001 1:34 pm

LOL looks like we're all the same doesnt it!! I've lost count of the CDs I have labeled No1, or progs or something else completely useless. Is there anyway of getting a list of file names within a folder without doing a screen dump and printing the result?
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby were on Tue Jun 12, 2001 7:29 pm

you can get 10cd's at walmart for 8.50 or something(back and gold package) but there's no labels on the cd's and they suckass.i made a mistake of putting them on ps games.

BUT I HATE THE MOST IS THE HOLDERS ITSELF.THEY BREAk REALLY EaSILY.

i start to use either the blue memoriax or tdk disks..about 12 for 10, but both never failed me yet

[ 12 June 2001: Message edited by: were ]
were
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby were on Tue Jun 12, 2001 7:34 pm

also, i put my roms on cd's too..though mame si a pain since their updating their drivers for every release..that's when a cd-rewritable helps

i also out computer games..and err..movies too :-)
were
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby Damian on Tue Jun 12, 2001 8:23 pm

What kind of movies eh?

[ 12 June 2001: Message edited by: DamianMoran ]
Damian
PCB Ultimate Emulator
PCB Ultimate Emulator

Next

Return to Arcade Emulation