Various stuff

Discuss all your experiences of the world of Arcade Emulation

Moderator: Silverhaze

Various stuff

Postby RabidYak on Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:36 pm

Couple of interesting odds and ends in the arcade emulation department recently.

Somebody at MAME DEV cracked the ZN protection system and each of those games can be emulated properly once they get a board to dump the chip from. That means most of the non-working PS-based games in MAME will be going soon and Zinc can stop using bios-dodging hackery if they want to implement it before the final release.

In terms of newly emulatable games, Raystorm and G-Darius are the highlights. If your into 3D fighting games and perving at computer generated tits, DOA++ might be of interest as well. Check out the info here -

http://unemulated.emuunlim.com/ZNx/index.html

Aaron Giles is at it again as well, working on the 3D Galeco stuff and doing some more work on the core. Details and piccys over at his site -

http://www.aarongiles.com

Interesting SEGA odds and sods from the MAME board, progress is apparently being made on Model 1 somewhere and the guy who broke the Z80 encryption is thinking of having a go at the OR/16/18/24 68000s when hes done. I woudent expect to see anything soon on either of those, but good to know that effort is being put into this stuff again.

On an unrelated note, played Sonic CD properly for the first time over the weekend. A bit easy, but much more entertaining and well made then any of the stock cart-based Sonic games and the newer 3D crap. Shame most people back then thought CDs should be filled up with shat FMV games instead of good stuff like this, even bigger shame that this game gets ignored in favor of the others because the MCD bombed and SEGA can never be arsed to port or emulate it for the compilation packs.

Thought i'd finally get off my arse and give TV-OUT a try as well, so i've got my mini shuttle machine hooked up to a portable TV and a couple of Playstation pads for use as a SNES and MD. Makes a change from looking at moniter, can't beat playing them on thier intended display device.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby were on Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:01 pm

yak,im VERY curious what ur computer looks like. :D

yes,sonic CD is a good game(almost impossible to beat without the codes).im very glad i bought it

you can get it for pc at a cheap price
Zep wrote:yes, i am drunk, but did I loot? NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
were
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby RabidYak on Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:17 pm

were wrote:yak,im VERY curious what ur computer looks like. :D

The shuttle? Second one down -

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Shuttle_102.html

Nothing fancy, built it specifically as a cheap and portable spare. 1700+, 256mb 2100, 40gig HD and a 64mb Radeon 9200. Already had onboard video and TV-Out, but added a card because its crap and I didnt want it leeching off of system RAM.

If you want to see it connected to the TV and playing something, i'll scrounge a digital camera and take a pic.

were wrote:yes,sonic CD is a good game(almost impossible to beat without the codes).im very glad i bought it

I should imagine its nigh on impossible to go back to the past and destroy the robotizer in every single level, i'll probably finish playing it througth and unlock the cinematic viewer with the time attack mode.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby were on Sat Feb 28, 2004 1:48 am

RabidYak wrote:
were wrote:yak,im VERY curious what ur computer looks like. :D

The shuttle? Second one down -

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Shuttle_102.html

Nothing fancy, built it specifically as a cheap and portable spare. 1700+, 256mb 2100, 40gig HD and a 64mb Radeon 9200. Already had onboard video and TV-Out, but added a card because its crap and I didnt want it leeching off of system RAM.

If you want to see it connected to the TV and playing something, i'll scrounge a digital camera and take a pic.

Thats still a reasonable specs, but i can understand why u dont want it shared with ur system RAM, i bought a nice 256dr ram last week an dit s going rather nicely.:)

were wrote:yes,sonic CD is a good game(almost impossible to beat without the codes).im very glad i bought it

I should imagine its nigh on impossible to go back to the past and destroy the robotizer in every single level, i'll probably finish playing it througth and unlock the cinematic viewer with the time attack mode.

Getting a perfect ending is downright ridicious as u find a sign goin to the past,find the generator,and if need be,go back to the present.U can use the code to transport u throughout the zone,but FINDING enough speed to transport is tricky, and u have to be careful on the continues(their limited)
were
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby ivwshane on Sat Feb 28, 2004 8:10 am

Nice system rabid! I'm hoping to have a nice HTPC by the end of this year. I was looking at shuttle but there seems to be a surge of htpc style cases coming out so I'm going to wait till I find the perfect one:D
ivwshane
PCB Conqueror
PCB Conqueror

Postby RabidYak on Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:06 pm

were wrote:Getting a perfect ending is downright ridicious as u find a sign goin to the past,find the generator,and if need be,go back to the present.U can use the code to transport u throughout the zone,but FINDING enough speed to transport is tricky, and u have to be careful on the continues(their limited)

I almost always hit something or loose the sparkly trail before I time travel, its nigh-on impossible sometimes unless the level has a bit specifically for that purpose near by.

Didn't know the continues were limited, I suppose thats what you get for downloading old console games instead of buying real copies with manuals. :D

ivwshane wrote:Nice system rabid! I'm hoping to have a nice HTPC by the end of this year. I was looking at shuttle but there seems to be a surge of htpc style cases coming out so I'm going to wait till I find the perfect one:D

They do seem to be the in thing at the moment, Shuttle were about the only people doing them a year or so ago and now everyone is on the bandwagon. It is useful to have one around, but i'd never use one as either of my main computers. Nowhere near enough breathing and expansion space for my liking and having almost everything on-board isn't a particularly good idea for serious users.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby were on Mon Mar 01, 2004 3:17 am

sonicCD was the first rent segacd game..i ws immediately blown away buy the intro music..i was going wow... :lol:

yeah,the game has limited continues, i learned that the hard way when racing against robit-sonic at the race..boy!,was i mad!
were
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Return to Arcade Emulation