Pitfighter playable, woohoo!

Discuss all your experiences of the world of Arcade Emulation

Moderator: Silverhaze

Postby RabidYak on Wed May 16, 2001 2:41 am

Rumor has it that MAME DEV have got their hands on a dump of an unprotected Pitfighter bootleg. It'll be cool to play Pit Fighter again, even though it sucks.

On a side note, has anyone ever seen a fully working Pit Fighter machine? All the ones I have seen has had at least one of the sticks smashed.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby adidas on Wed May 16, 2001 3:01 am

I haven't seen an actual Pit Fighter machine in years, they used to have one a while back at Wal-Mart.

And I like Pit Fighter, it's cool in its own crappy kind of way.
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby Pdaimaoh on Wed May 16, 2001 6:53 am

CASSANO'S PIZZA???? WHAT????

where??? where is a cassano's pizza place???

the crappy mall arcade I used to go to had a fully working Pit Fighter...and I played it because it was the newest game they had...thankfully they eventually got a deep fighter by the name of Mortal Kombat (sarcasm at how awful pit fighter is!)

I can understand how the controllers would get wailed!
Pdaimaoh
PCB Baron
PCB Baron

Postby Damian on Wed May 16, 2001 7:54 am

Are their pizzas that good?
Damian
PCB Ultimate Emulator
PCB Ultimate Emulator

Postby Megaman X on Wed May 16, 2001 8:25 am

Heh...the only thing they have now is Cruisin' USA and a beat to hell version of the Police Academy Trainer (light gun game).

Well, unless you count the jukebox as a game with all those damn buttons.
Megaman X
PCB Resident
PCB Resident

Postby ShinSephiroth on Wed May 16, 2001 8:46 am

lol you could save yourself the trouble of this horrid game and get the equally horrid SNES port for Zsnes.
ShinSephiroth
PCB Newbie
PCB Newbie

Postby Damian on Wed May 16, 2001 8:57 am

Thanks Shin, you just reminded me that my copy has Pretty Fighters on it instead. I'll go and download it now and report back my impressions. Shit Plasticman is down! Damn I thought it would be longer before this happened but it has. Damn I am not using PE2000, I don't have the patience to wait 5 minutes to get a game. Ah well using SnesArena.com to get it.

Damn that game is bad but no wonder seeing as it is by THQ the toy company that tried to make games and failed miserably. Here is a review I found of the SNES version:

AH Pitfighter! You Bring back such good memories! Your unbeleivably bad graphics, gameplay, and sound have made you one of the worst games ever! I should know, because I used to own it! Basically, Pit Fighter is a fighting game featuring extremely poorly digitized human fighters who battle it out for prize money. In fact this is less of a review than a warning to all people who would like to either purchase it, or play it. Various versions exist for the Genesis, and Super Nintendo and none are even close to arcade perfect. What does that mean? It means that they are even worse.

What makes this game to bad exactly? Well for starters the graphics are horrendous, extremely blurry digitized people with very few frames of animation, along the lines of 3. The controls are unresponsive and the moves are uninteresting. In fact the only notable feature is that some levels have 2 or 3 vs 1 action, which I guess is more of an excercise in repetetive fighting techniques than anything else. You choose from one of three fighters whose differences appear to be very minimal, Buzz, Ty and Kato, and fight your way through a street tournament ladder earning money and fame from your successive victories. The crowd is particularly vicious, grabbing and hurting you in any way possible, in fact perhaps the only ''interactive'' background element.

Don't confuse this ''fighting'' game with the wildly successful Mortal Combat which is perhaps several generations ahead of this game in terms of its graphic, sound, and control capabilities. Battles are mostly relegated to kicking and punching repeatedly, and using the occasional object such as a knife, or barrel, or whatever else might appear, including I beleive a ''P'' for some kind of limited ultimate fighting prowess.... give me a break. Pacman meets Yie R Kung Fu or some such garbage. In any event, please avoid this game at all costs, or if your in for a laugh give it a shot!

Graphics - 1

Laughably poor graphics. Really.

Sound - 1

Unbeleivably repetetive sound effects, completely unmemorable musical score (to the point where I'm having trouble remembering if there was music at all) and its only been a few weeks since I played...

Gameplay - 1

There is none. No thought went into this game.

Overall - 1

Avoid like the plague. If you want to laugh, rent it for the home system, or better yet spend a maximum of 25 cents at the arcade to give it a shot.

-Crim

[ 16 May 2001: Message edited by: DamianMoran ]
Damian
PCB Ultimate Emulator
PCB Ultimate Emulator

Postby Silverhaze on Wed May 16, 2001 1:22 pm

LOL I remember when they had a pit fighter tournament on Games Master when I was still in school. It was the arcade version and I have to say that back then it didnt look THAT bad. Never played it mind you. For me, my view of a game can seriously deteriorate if the controls are crap. I dont enjoy the tricky to control Metal Gear Solid for that very reason but I'll sit for hours and watch somebody else play it.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby Megaman X on Wed May 16, 2001 5:35 pm

I had no idea that Pitfighter was so "secure". It would be cool to see it again though. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

On a sidenote, I saw a working Pitfighter at a Cassano's Pizza near here about a month ago but it was gone last night when I went inside.
Megaman X
PCB Resident
PCB Resident

Postby were on Wed May 16, 2001 6:26 pm

pifighter?....i remember that game.

uuuuuuu...the nightmares are coming back again...
were
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby Silverhaze on Wed May 16, 2001 8:24 pm

Anyway BOLLOCKS to Pitfighter. When are they gonna start working on difficult games like Edward Randy eh??? THats what I want to know. I wanna play it soooo bad.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby Pdaimaoh on Wed May 16, 2001 9:54 pm

when I was younger, there was a cassano's in my town, and once in awhile we'd go there (my family)

bonus was that the only arcade in town was right next to it!

anyway, it was the BEST pizza sauce I'd ever had EVER, and then several years later, I was down at this plaza that had a corner pizza shop that changed owners/business every few months, and the pizzasauce was EXACTLY THE SAME!
cassano's is long since gone, and when I came back for another pizza at that plaza place, they had changed owners already!!

if there is one thing that could soothe me for years would be this pizza sauce

it's possible that different units use a different sauce, or that the original sauce has changed, but for ANY chance for this amazing sauce, I must take it!

recently, my aunt informed me that the guy that ran our town's cassano's had later owned a shop at the plaza! she said he used to go to her church, and she's trying to find out where he lives now

this is one of the three quests I must fulfill in order to attain true peace of mind

and cassano's was the first pizza place I ever saw em cut the pizza into squares...damn that was cool!

turns out there was a cassano's in cleveland a few years back, but they had to close it down because they found dead bodies in the exhaust chute for the ovens!
Pdaimaoh
PCB Baron
PCB Baron

Postby the ox on Wed May 16, 2001 10:59 pm

I actually spent 80 bucks on pitfighter when it came out for genesis, yuk!!!!!!!!
the ox
PCB Resident
PCB Resident

Postby RabidYak on Wed May 16, 2001 11:16 pm

Holy shit, $80? I had a pirate copy of the Atari ST vertion back in the day (damn good port as well).

Im hoping MAME DEV will eventually nail the SLOOP chip so I can play its semi-sequel Guardians of the Hood again.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Damian on Thu May 17, 2001 12:15 am

Whats that place is the US that has square pizzas? And you can get this one larger than a 21" monitor?
Damian
PCB Ultimate Emulator
PCB Ultimate Emulator

Postby adidas on Thu May 17, 2001 2:48 am

I've never heard of Cassano's, but it must be a pretty cool place if it has dead bodies in exhaust chutes!

I think they've closed a few places in the Flats down for this, haven't they? LOL
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby Pdaimaoh on Thu May 17, 2001 2:53 am

I don't go to cleveland much, it's too dangerous!

heh, I spent a night sleeping on the sidewalk in the flats, the night of July 4 several years ago...what a fucked up night that was!
Pdaimaoh
PCB Baron
PCB Baron

Postby Megaman X on Thu May 17, 2001 4:12 am

Cassano's pizza are awesome because you can get their extra large and eat on the damn thing for a week solid. THEY'RE HUGE!

Bad thing is, they now take credit cards so I'm in real big trouble.
Megaman X
PCB Resident
PCB Resident

Postby adidas on Thu May 17, 2001 4:31 am

You aren't alone in your experiences in the flats, PD. I for one have been WAY too fucked up down there on many an occasion.

I'm older and either I'm just lazier, or I'm wiser, or a little of both, because I don't go there anymore.
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby Silverhaze on Thu May 17, 2001 1:39 pm

What are you Yanks talking about eh?? This Brit for one, is totally confused. What are the flats. Flats in this country are small houses or apartments. Why is Cleveland so dangerous.

Dont boring old crappy pizzahut cut their pizzas into squares with that edge thing they do?

One of the biggest pizzas I had was from a beachside pizza parlour in barbados. The sizes went like this.

Small
Medium
Large
Extra Large
Rediculous

Honestly, it was great. I'll have a rediculous hawian with extra cheese, sweetcorn and pepperoni please my good man!

Oh, and the worst pizza sauce I've had has to be domino's pizza when they use that barbeque sauce instead of tomato for meat pizzas. Eugh I hate that stuff.

How did a pitfighter post turn into a pizza post again???
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Return to Arcade Emulation