Moderator: Silverhaze

whoa! 2 DVD disc set with all mame roms

Postby Class316 on Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:23 pm

Class316
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby RabidYak on Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:42 pm

Complete fucking scam.

You can't fit a complete MAME set on 2 DVD-/+Rs, the media costs no more £2 - 3 each and he has no actuall right to be selling them in first place.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Class316 on Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:04 pm

RabidYak wrote:Complete fucking scam.

You can't fit a complete MAME set on 2 DVD-/+Rs, the media costs no more £2 - 3 each and he has no actuall right to be selling them in first place.

Not even if you take out the HD images?
Class316
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby RabidYak on Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:28 pm

It'll probably just about fit without the CHDs, but that pretty much defeats the point. You'll still have an incomplete set and you'll still have to do all the worst downloading yourself.

Not that it matters, its still incredably illegal and the price is hilariously absurd. If you really are too lazy to download games that your not even paying for, then there are people about who do it at media and postage cost price. Thats only marginally less illegal, but its a bit more morally sound and your not letting some greedy cunt make a fat profit off of something he doesent own.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Class316 on Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:41 pm

Well he said roms. HD-images are not roms so he's not lying :mrgreen:

Though I agree it's pricey.

Also, I never did update my HD-images to the newest format. Where to get the tool to do that?
Class316
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby RabidYak on Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:49 pm

Class316 wrote:Well he said roms. HD-images are not roms so he's not lying :mrgreen:

Yep, but I bet he didn't seperate out all the floppy and tape images that are mixed in with the ROMs. :D

Class316 wrote:Also, I never did update my HD-images to the newest format. Where to get the tool to do that?

Comes in the same zip as MAME.

Some require diff patches and you might have a couple of complete write-offs, but most of them should cause you no hassle as long as you can read instructions and use a command line.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Class316 on Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:10 pm

RabidYak wrote:
Yep, but I bet he didn't seperate out all the floppy and tape images that are mixed in with the ROMs. :D

He didn?t say there are non-rom files ;)

He could have emus, flyers, and frontends in there too

Comes in the same zip as MAME.

Some require diff patches and you might have a couple of complete write-offs, but most of them should cause you no hassle as long as you can read instructions and use a command line.

Goes to show you how long it?s been since I?ve bothered with mame :?

There are probably a couple of newer HD images I don?t even have.
Class316
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby RabidYak on Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:24 pm

Class316 wrote:He didn?t say there are non-rom files ;)

The advert says that there are "over 4700 full original ROM versions", but there isn't 4700 games in MAME if you take out all the casette, disk and HD games.

There are probably a couple of newer HD images I don?t even have.

Probably quite a few if you've not been updating for a few months.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby ivwshane on Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:23 pm

Is the tool in mame you are talking about the one that removes all the uneeded space in the chd's?

I'm still working on my mame collection guys so I haven't forgotten about you.
ivwshane
PCB Conqueror
PCB Conqueror

Postby RabidYak on Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:43 pm

ivwshane wrote:Is the tool in mame you are talking about the one that removes all the uneeded space in the chd's?

CHDMAN, which replaced HDCMP. Updates, compresses, uncompresses, compares, patches, trims and integrity checks CHD images. They've been there since the CoJag HD games were first added, its just that not many people actually noticed until they had to use it to update thier stuff to the new standard.

The CHD images for those poxy Music simulators are starting to sap my will to complete almost as much as all those shitty NG Street Fighter knock-offs did a few years ago. I'd rather D/L another 50 Mahjong games then any more from either of those categories, sod knows why so many people leech and play those things for fun.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Cypher_Blade on Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:30 pm

RabidYak wrote:The CHD images for those poxy Music simulators are starting to sap my will to complete almost as much as all those shitty NG Street Fighter knock-offs did a few years ago. I'd rather D/L another 50 Mahjong games then any more from either of those categories, sod knows why so many people leech and play those things for fun.

For fun, perhaps?
Cypher_Blade
PCB Resident
PCB Resident

Return to Arcade Emulation