Space Invaders to return (will mame remove it now?)

Discuss all your experiences of the world of Arcade Emulation

Moderator: Silverhaze

Space Invaders to return (will mame remove it now?)

Postby Class316 on Fri Dec 05, 2003 7:31 pm

Japanese game machine maker Taito Corp said on Friday it plans to restart sales of "Space Invaders" in the United States, almost 25 years after the game first appeared in video arcades.

The classic arcade game centers on a fleet of invading aliens looking to take over earth, but they must first deal with a lone gunner -- the player -- holed up behind a fragile set of shields.

It has been one of the most popular video games of all time since it was developed in 1978.

"There has been a rebirth of classic video games in America," said Taito spokesman Kengo Naka. "We thought it would coincide nicely with the 25th anniversary of its debut in the U.S."

Taito aims to sell 10,000 of the stand-alone game machines at 300,000 yen (U.S. $2,772) a unit.

Namco, which also has it own classic video game, "Pacman," will handle sales of Space Invaders in the United States.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/fun.games/ ... index.html
Class316
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby adidas on Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:56 pm

They're actually going to sell the game with no revisions? This is quite a surprise to me

Unfortunately, unless people my age really REALLY have nothing to do with their $2700, I don't think it will sell well. Won't appeal to older people and it definitely won't appeal to younger ones (not that the young ones could afford it)
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby were on Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:00 pm

mayeb theyll make a big buget movie out if it... :roll:
Zep wrote:yes, i am drunk, but did I loot? NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
were
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby Class316 on Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:32 pm

From what I understand they?re going to sell the machines not to people but to centers so people put 50 cents in them to play

While the game will not change in this latest offering, inflation has taken its toll. One play will now cost 50 cents, compared with 25 cents a generation ago.
Class316
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby RabidYak on Sat Dec 06, 2003 2:02 am

I can see home buyers going for it more thenoperators, thats about the same sort of money that decent condition big-name machines from that time go for thesedays. Some of the remaining proper arcades will probably get one in, but the shitty modern ones would rather spend the money and space on another identical gun game or kiddy music simulator.

No reason for it to be removed from MAME, the game was still made in 1978 and I hardley think Taito are going to be releasing it on its original hardware in all its variations. See Ms.Pacman and Galaga for precedent.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby adidas on Sat Dec 06, 2003 5:12 am

Yak, you'd be happy to know that there is one decent arcade left around here.. it's complete with Ms. Pac-Man, Galaga, Centipede.... can't really remember the rest of them because I haven't been in a while. I should head down there one of these days :)
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Postby RabidYak on Sat Dec 06, 2003 4:49 pm

adidas wrote:Yak, you'd be happy to know that there is one decent arcade left around here.. it's complete with Ms. Pac-Man, Galaga, Centipede.... can't really remember the rest of them because I haven't been in a while. I should head down there one of these days :)

You lucky bastard. :D
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Return to Arcade Emulation