Good news for arcade lovers (not emulation)

Discuss all your experiences of the world of Arcade Emulation

Moderator: Silverhaze

Good news for arcade lovers (not emulation)

Postby KoHC on Sat Sep 13, 2003 8:56 am

9/11, in Japan 41st Amusement Machine Show, SAMMY announce the new arcade board "AUTOMISWAVE". It has network (AW-Net) and memory card (AW Card) for national score ranking and save/load data function. Current line-up to take advantage of the AW-Net function are:
Salaryman Kintaro (based on popular Japanese manga/anime/live action)
Force Five
New Sankoku (sp?)
GuiltyGear ISUCA

GuiltyGear ISUCA will introduce something new: 4 players tag team or melee. It will also include 2 row stage like some old SNK games (e.g. Fatal Fury2).

SNK PLAYMORE will also use the new board for their next "The King of Fighters". Projected release on Spring of 2004. They finally going to let go of their aged hardware.

CAPCOM will also gives SAMMY the right to produce SAMMY VS CAPCOM. It will feature characters from Street Fighter, Rival School, Vampire Savior, and GuiltyGear X.

Here are some pictures:
SAMMY's booth:

AW-Net's screen:

GuiltyGear ISUCA:

Left: Salaryman Kintaro, Right: Some lucky bastard trying out GuiltyGear

Boot-up screen of ATOMISWAVE:

SAMMY VS CAPCOM:

ZDNet Japan's report (Japanese):
http://www.zdnet.co.jp/games/gsnews/0309/11/news06.html
KoHC
PCB Landlord
PCB Landlord

Postby Silverhaze on Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:47 am

Never to be seen anywhere in the UK.

Got any better screen and some figures?

What can the thing do? 3D? 2?

We need info :D
For the people who are still alive.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby RabidYak on Sat Sep 13, 2003 10:50 am

Atomiswave itself is fairly old news, they probably just got thier first chance to show it off properly and announce all the brand games that will go down well with japs and the fighter kiddies.

Silverhaze wrote:We need info :D

Nothing remarkable. Beefed up Dreamcast on an arcade board with interchangable games, just like NAOMI was 4 or 5 years ago. Look in the SEGA section at system16 for specs and piccys, the platform shooter looks like the most interesting game on it at the moment.

At least the dipshits at Playmore finally realised the NG is a pathetic joke thesedays, even if they arnt moving to cutting edge equipment. I wouldent be the least bit surprised if they still copy and pasted thier games together from previous ones though.

Silverhaze wrote:Never to be seen anywhere in the UK.

A few of todays hideously overpriced arcades will probably squeeze one inbetween the shitty music machines and late-90s SEGA stuff if they find a game that sufficently repells actuall gamers.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby KoHC on Sat Sep 13, 2003 11:01 am

Never to be seen anywhere in the UK.

It's not out yet. Expected to see the game sometime next year.

Got any better screen and some figures?

You can always check SAMMY's website if you can read Japanese. The best picture I can find is from a game called Demolishfist

What can the thing do? 3D? 2?

Just like Niaomi board, this one is capable of doing both 2D and 3D games. I'm still trying to dig out more info on the board but it's difficult at the moment (consider SAMMY just announce the board a day ago). But it's very likly using graphic chipset from PowerVR. Here's press release if you're interested:
http://www.powervr.com/PlatformArcade.asp
KoHC
PCB Landlord
PCB Landlord

Postby RabidYak on Sat Sep 13, 2003 1:12 pm

Or you could just read the post I made before.

The thing is nigh-on identical to the NAOMI, details are on system16 and its already been about for a few months with some games already in arcades. The only thing thats new here are the extra game announcements.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Silverhaze on Sat Sep 13, 2003 11:25 pm

Sounds like a bit of a waste of time although that VS game and the other one Yak mentioned dont sound too bad
For the people who are still alive.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby KoHC on Sun Sep 14, 2003 6:12 am

I would say any news is good news. There isn't much good arcade game out for a long time, especially fighting games. I'm getting tire of most SNK craps and really looking forward to this one.

I guess the main reason I got excited because of SAMMY VS CAPCOM. SNK VS CAPCOM: Chaos wasn't as good as what many people expected (but again, can't expect such an aged hardware to do much). And CAPCOM won't make another arcade game for now. Let's just hope it'll be at least enjoyable.
KoHC
PCB Landlord
PCB Landlord

Return to Arcade Emulation