MAME 0.63

Discuss all your experiences of the world of Arcade Emulation

Moderator: Silverhaze

MAME 0.63

Postby RabidYak on Mon Jan 13, 2003 12:59 am

Fucking typical, a new MAME comes out just after I complete and burn my ROM collection and just after being informed by the arseholes I work for that i've got to start working shitty new early hours from tommorow.

Highlights include -

- Very preliminary Namco NA sound emulation
- Artwork support for the LED counters in Buck Rodgers and Subroc
- Some new CPU cores
- Improvements to some YM-series sound chips
- SEGA System 32 support (Just the standard version, no Multi-32 yet)
- Midway KI hardware and the rest of the V-unit stuff
- Galeco stuff, system name escapes me at the moment

Anyone after the new CHD images can find KI2 and War Gods in my upload directory on Shane's FTP, with KI to follow as soon as I get home from work tomorow. The ROM set for Off Road Challenge is in there as well. I'm not sure if War Gods is clean or the dodgey one thats meant to be floating about, but there is a patch available to sort out the shite one.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby ivwshane on Mon Jan 13, 2003 2:11 am

Thanks for the uploads too!!

I wasn't expecting another mame this fast.
ivwshane
PCB Conqueror
PCB Conqueror

Postby Silverhaze on Mon Jan 13, 2003 12:35 pm

OK I dont have a single mame rom but its still nice to know.

And when are you gonna take me on at some serious kaillera Mr Yak?
For the people who are still alive.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby RabidYak on Mon Jan 13, 2003 4:21 pm

ivwshane wrote:Thanks for the uploads too!!

No problem, it saves everybody hammering .dk for them and ive got more then enough bandwith to do it without any disruption to anything.

KI is on its way up now. Just so nobody tries to get it before its finishes, its 91.1 megs.

ivwshane wrote:I wasn't expecting another mame this fast.

This one caught me with my pants down as well, I wasent expecting one for another couple of weeks yet and they usually come out around Thursdays or Fridays rather then Sundays.

Thank god that Area 51/Max Foce Duo didnt make it into this release, downloading a 2gig-odd CHD for a combined version of two games I already spent donkeys getting in their original forms is not something i'm looking foward to.

Silverhaze wrote:And when are you gonna take me on at some serious kaillera Mr Yak?

As soon as I D/L a Kaillera MAME build and sort out how it works. Are direct connections possible or does it have to go througth a server?
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Silverhaze on Mon Jan 13, 2003 5:04 pm

I'm really not sure actually. I've only ever gone through a server.

Any kaillera experts out there?
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby ivwshane on Tue Jan 14, 2003 4:14 am

You would need to download a sever version of kaillera.
ivwshane
PCB Conqueror
PCB Conqueror

Postby Silverhaze on Tue Jan 14, 2003 10:21 am

Ok I take it that would set me up as a server myself and then others would have to oonnect to me?

Sounds alright. Is it possible to set it up privately so I can say who can play or not?
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby RabidYak on Tue Jan 14, 2003 5:12 pm

Best 0.63-related DEV qoute, Aaron Giles reponding to some KI kiddy whineing about speed -

"The games suck ass and I can't be bothered to waste my life making crappy fighters run fast on ghetto PCs (or even my PC for that matter).

Hell, you should be grateful they're even in MAME at all, because I wasn't even going to bother except that (a) I had to write the CPU core for the Seattle games, and (b) I wanted to make sure all the ROM-based DCS games had working sound."

Makes me laugth that he codes an accurate KI driver without even liking the game just because he already has the component cores lying around, whereas a group of coders that actually like the game had to code an almost useless hack'n'slash emu to get it running like an unstable simulator.

And for those wondering, Seattle is the mid-90s Midway/Atari 3DFX-based board that Carnevil, Wayne Gretzky 3D and NFL Blitz used. Judging by his track record, I wouldent be suprised if its in MAME by the end of the year as he already has it getting up to the boot sequence and test menus.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby TheLastKamikaze on Wed Jan 15, 2003 3:17 am

WOW, this is excellent news!!! Back in my University days, I blew literally thousands on the SF Runsh machine (at a dollar a pop no wonder!)

... Yak, is SF Rush one of those CHD games that are planned to be in M.A.M.E. (it was an Atari and 3dF/X game) If so, I just got my reason to upgrade my PC!
TheLastKamikaze
PCB Resident
PCB Resident

Postby RabidYak on Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:35 pm

San Fransisco Rush runs on Flagstaff hardware, not Seattle. Its a slightly older board that uses the same processor and 3DFX chipset, but it uses Atari's unemulated CAGE sound system rather then Midway's DCS. Barring any nasty hardware shinanigans, I should imagine that he wont have much trouble knocking together a driver once he has finished with GT and Seattle. SFR is dumped though, i've got both the CHD and the ROMs sitting on my HD right now.

I woudent go upgrading your PC specifically for that though. I doubt there will be processors quick enough to run them at a playable rate when thier drivers are actually completed, let alone right now. KI hardware annialates current CPUs as it is, let alone KI hardware with a 3DFX system strapped onto it.

Considering that Midway brought out Atari when they died on thier arse, its pretty funny that they ended up ditcing thier own TMS/FCPGA 3D system arcitecture in favor of Atari's Rx000/3DFX setup.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Postby Silverhaze on Wed Jan 15, 2003 8:55 pm

indeed it is
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Postby geesehoward on Thu Jan 16, 2003 1:52 am

does KI2 play good on mame? i'd like to get it just for that, i loved that game in the arcade

"the whole world's about to end over a goddamn puppy"- Paranoia Agent
geesehoward
PCB General
PCB General

Postby Damian on Thu Jan 16, 2003 3:32 am

If by "good" you mean "10FPS", then yes I suppose it runs wonderfully! Hardware within 6-12 months might be able to run full speed; could take longer you never know.
Damian
PCB Ultimate Emulator
PCB Ultimate Emulator

Return to Arcade Emulation