MAME for the Dreamcast!!

Discuss all your experiences of the world of Arcade Emulation

Moderator: Silverhaze

MAME for the Dreamcast!!

Postby Silverhaze on Wed Jul 18, 2001 8:17 pm

Damn!! Jewboy just sent this link my way and its already available!

Only runs about 6-8 games at the moment but at least its working and they are working on it more and more so hopefully it wont be long before we can play our favourite old games with mates on a DC sitting around a telly!

Cool or wot!

Mame for Dreamcast
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

MAME for the Dreamcast!!

Postby adidas on Thu Jul 19, 2001 1:45 am

Yeah, I saw this at Retrogames(? I think)

I don't have very high hopes for MAME for DC, since most emulators that run on consoles are total shit.

Like that DreamSNES, what a joke.
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

MAME for the Dreamcast!!

Postby President Bush on Thu Jul 19, 2001 4:15 am

Why not just play it on a PC? I mean if you can download it and burn it, then you've already got something better than a DC to run MAME on (? a computer). But I admit there is something to be said for its novelty.
President Bush
PCB Newbie
PCB Newbie

MAME for the Dreamcast!!

Postby Silverhaze on Thu Jul 19, 2001 1:04 pm

The whole idea for me is that I would be able to burn a load of games to disc and take them round to a mate's house and play games like 4 player turtles and simpsons and SF2 and shit like that on a TV round at somebody elses house. Its a right shitter trying to fit 4 people comftably round a PC and it should be the perfect resolution too so the games should look pretty good.

I'm hoping it will be a success as its a mame port and not something originally thought of for the DC. I think its a kick arse idea and if it works I'll be downloading it and playing Forgotten Worlds on a 40" TV round my mates house!
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

MAME for the Dreamcast!!

Postby jurucyber on Thu Jul 19, 2001 5:03 pm

It will proberbly mean the spites will be less pixelated.

Damn,i should change that sig pic...

[ 19 July 2001: Message edited by: jurucyber ]
jurucyber
PCB Landlord
PCB Landlord

MAME for the Dreamcast!!

Postby Damian on Fri Jul 20, 2001 2:05 am

Urrr isn't MAMED for digital cameras?
Damian
PCB Ultimate Emulator
PCB Ultimate Emulator

MAME for the Dreamcast!!

Postby RabidYak on Fri Jul 20, 2001 2:56 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Silverhaze:
<STRONG>The whole idea for me is that I would be able to burn a load of games to disc and take them round to a mate's house and play games like 4 player turtles and simpsons and SF2 and shit like that on a TV round at somebody elses house. Its a right shitter trying to fit 4 people comftably round a PC and it should be the perfect resolution too so the games should look pretty good.

I'm hoping it will be a success as its a mame port and not something originally thought of for the DC. I think its a kick arse idea and if it works I'll be downloading it and playing Forgotten Worlds on a 40" TV round my mates house!</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL, dont get you hopes up. The DC has a clock speed of 200mhz which compared to an x86 processor is probably more like 75-133.

Considering its not MAMEs native style of hardware, thats probably just powerful enough to move Z80 and similar based games. 68ks and the custom konomi processor are well out of the picture.

[ 19 July 2001: Message edited by: RabidYak ]
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

MAME for the Dreamcast!!

Postby adidas on Fri Jul 20, 2001 3:09 am

My digital camera's batteries die quickly enough already! That's all I need to do is get MAME for the damn thing.

I already spend a fortune in batteries between my pager, cordless mouse & keyboard, and my 3 remotes.

I kind of figured that the DC wouldn't have enough processing power to run many of the MAME drivers. Isn't the main emphasis on the GPU in consoles? That wouldn't help translate instructions any.
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

MAME for the Dreamcast!!

Postby djkix on Fri Jul 20, 2001 5:34 am

Tell me this, my man...

Do the 14 or so versions of MAMED at http://digita.mame.net/news.htm work on DC?

If so, MAMED4.ZIP contains the driver to the best arcade game in living history: Shinobi

I am FUCKING EXCITED.
djkix
PCB Member
PCB Member

Return to Arcade Emulation