KOF2K progress......

Discuss all your experiences of the world of Arcade Emulation

Moderator: Silverhaze

KOF2K progress......

Postby adidas on Tue Jul 10, 2001 3:43 am

Alright. So this is a very recent game. I still have to admit, I'd really like to be able to play it in NRX. I've been waiting quietly, but I think it's worth posting this news from the Neo-0 site.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>After much testing and hard work, Tyris has SUCCEEDED in dumping both P1 and P2 of MSX through the edge connector! This is a MAJOR milestone! This means that we now have the CORRECT rombanking method!

There is unfortunately one very small snag. For some strange reason, the KOF2K cart is not giving us any data at this point. This makes absolutely NO sense seeing as how I got P1 out of KOF2K. Tyris was unable to extract P1 data from KOF2K using the exact same method that I had used earlier (and which btw, Tyris had himself devised). This can only mean one thing: Something is broken. Right now, the three possiblities are: 1. The cart was damaged during shipping to Tyris, 2. The MVS is broken and not sending the correct clock signal, 3. The edge system that Tyris is using was damaged during shipping and the wire for the clock may be loose. Now, MSX checked for the MVS system as well. However, how it did the check is uncertain. It is quite possible that the wires that it used to check are ok, but that the clock wire that KOF2K uses may have some problems.

Right now, Tyris is working hard at diagnosing which part is broken. He will take the entire system over to an arcade reseller in his area and have the whole thing checked over. Chances are that either the cart or the MVS may be damaged. The edge system has already been checked over and it appears to be ok. Once we figure out which is broken, we will have that problem fixed and then we will be able to dump KOF2K.

Today should be a day of celebration! We have hit a snag, but it is a small one compared to what we have accomplished. Tyris is taking it over on Monday, so we'll know exactly what needs to be repaired/replaced VERY soon. The hard part was the rombanking which Tyris has already conquered. After the P roms, we'll work out the c roms in a similar fashion and KOF2K will be FULLY playable!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know how much longer it will be before the rom will be dumped, but I'm just glad progress is being made. Eventually we'll be able to play KOF2K in MAME or NRX
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

KOF2K progress......

Postby RabidYak on Tue Jul 10, 2001 6:13 am

It actually took Raz a couple of months after he got the eeprom emulator thingey, its a matter of having he right kit at the right time.

Besides, I should imagine that the CPS-2 encryption is considerably better and has tighter hardware support considering that it had to be done by actually writing a program to find and exploit a hole rather then just dumping it strait out of the board.

Its Kinda like saying that one coder is better then another because he can emulate Pac-Man quicker then the other can emulate Pac-Mania.

Anyway - since niether of them are actually decrypting anything, I wouldent call them decrypt gods anyway.

[ 10 July 2001: Message edited by: RabidYak ]
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

KOF2K progress......

Postby TheLastKamikaze on Tue Jul 10, 2001 10:33 am

You probably wouldn't be able to play it in NeoRAGEx anyways as it'll have the same locking up problem as Metal SLug X does under NRX. But under MAME it would be fine!

I hope they do a perfect Garou dump.

Gret NEWS though [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
TheLastKamikaze
PCB Resident
PCB Resident

KOF2K progress......

Postby Silverhaze on Tue Jul 10, 2001 1:05 pm

THats good news but as I'm not a Neo fighter fan I'm not too bothered about this one. I'm looking out for Metal Slug 3.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

KOF2K progress......

Postby ivwshane on Tue Jul 10, 2001 1:20 pm

Hey SH, do you know of any place that has some good screen shots of metal slug 3?
ivwshane
PCB Conqueror
PCB Conqueror

KOF2K progress......

Postby Silverhaze on Tue Jul 10, 2001 4:08 pm

Um. This one has some but they arnt that spectacular.

http://www.ngpczone.com/news/March/3-30-00-news1.html

Here are some more
http://www.neo-geo.com/snk/reviews/ms3/metalslug3.html

Afraid thats all I could find.
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

KOF2K progress......

Postby Damian on Tue Jul 10, 2001 5:58 pm

If they manage to crack the game after so little time, that means that Raz won't be the decrypt god anymore because he took over a year.
Damian
PCB Ultimate Emulator
PCB Ultimate Emulator

KOF2K progress......

Postby RabidYak on Tue Jul 10, 2001 10:56 pm

KLOV had some shots last time I looked.

Even if they dump it soon MAME wont officially take it until late next year, but since MAME is open source there aint nothing to stop people adding it themselves.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

KOF2K progress......

Postby adidas on Wed Jul 11, 2001 1:34 am

Yeah, offshoots like 32k and Stretchmame (the test version of which has kaillera support also) are likely to support it long before the official MAME does
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

KOF2K progress......

Postby RabidYak on Wed Jul 11, 2001 2:29 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by adidas:
<STRONG>Yeah, offshoots like 32k and Stretchmame (the test version of which has kaillera support also) are likely to support it long before the official MAME does</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope, it infringes the MAME licence to distribute builds with de-activated games activated.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

KOF2K progress......

Postby adidas on Thu Jul 12, 2001 3:31 am

But haven't those builds supported games before the official MAME in the past?

Or were the games just not implemented in the official build because it was between releases? I'm a little confused on this one.
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

KOF2K progress......

Postby RabidYak on Thu Jul 12, 2001 4:03 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by adidas:
<STRONG>Or were the games just not implemented in the official build because it was between releases?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bingo.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

KOF2K progress......

Postby jurucyber on Thu Jul 12, 2001 5:41 pm

[ 12 July 2001: Message edited by: jurucyber ]
jurucyber
PCB Landlord
PCB Landlord

Return to Arcade Emulation