Best Game

Discuss all your experiences of the world of Arcade Emulation

Moderator: Silverhaze

Best Game

Postby Damian on Sat May 26, 2001 5:29 pm

Hey PD you don't seem to post nearly as much as you used to, are people covering up their outdoor sockets?

I am slightly surprised to see that many best game entries on this topic have been quite modern. Maybe one day I should conduct an age poll, or are old games really that unexciting? Even my favourite game SMW does not quite fit into the classic status yet, still too new; but believe me it will.

CSOTN is an absolutely brilliant game, I was quite amused by the first ending where upon the world turns upside down and it all needs to be completed again with harder enemies, quite a brilliant touch.

I would urge you all to buy the game, and I would burn it to multiple CD's but my CDRW is a piece of shit that doesn't work. Some of you may not know that this is not a typical whip 'n slash Castlevania game but an action RPG that has the best power up system I have ever seen (I am sorry but Metroid never really hit the right buttons for me).

The music, voice acting, graphics (yes they are 2D, but watch out for the massive sprites and backgrounds) and gameplay make me wonder why SMW beat it...oh yeah I remember now, it has the best levels ever created.

I have never played the Saturn version, though now I am tempted to search for it; what does this timeline thing do anyway?
Damian
PCB Ultimate Emulator
PCB Ultimate Emulator

Best Game

Postby were on Tue May 29, 2001 6:41 am

..downlaoding netzero and a couple of hacks later....

the voice acting in symphony is extrodinary.There aren't many titles whereas voice acting is a an A+

holey crap, that's alot of atari games. I especially love the activision titles.Ever played that chicken game to get across the road?excellent sound effects

then there's keystone capers...

..that helicopter game

river raid

and ms pacman wasn't so bad either

________
beware the dreaded black maze in pacman
were
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Best Game

Postby gm on Tue May 29, 2001 6:51 am

ssf2t
gm
PCB Newbie
PCB Newbie

Best Game

Postby Silverhaze on Wed May 30, 2001 1:43 pm

What helicopter game? Dunno which one you mean.

As for atari games, I had the most laughs with mates playing:

IK+
Silkworm
Forgotten Worlds
Rampage
Ikari Wariors
Hostage
Summer Games/Olympics

BBC Micro (my first computer)

Dare Devil Dennis
Castle Quest
Citadel
Rocket Raid
Last Ninja 1&2
Repton
Jet Set Willy
Shark

Damn there were so many back then I just cant remember them all. I think I had a pretty poor Incredible Hulk textventure too that was funny. To turn hulk to had to write things like 'Bite lip or kick wall' to get him mad. Never got anywhere with it really.

While we're on the subject of old computer games here's a question for ya...

On the Commodore64 there was a game where you played a baby in a nappy/diaper. The screen was pretty low on colours and I think you had to move around your house being naughty and collecting bottles and stuff. It was called Naughty Nick or something like that I think but I'm not too sure. Can anybody remember this game?

Now, there was a sequel to this game which I would love to play again. Its got 10 times the screen colours and is a platform game where I think I remember starting off in the woods as the baby again. Thats all I can remember of it.

Also another game where the title screen before the main game screen was an american flag, USA gold or some other developer. You played a ninja and you had to get through buildings jumping up through the ceiling or through holes in the floor. I really cant remeber anything else about it. Might have had ninja in the title and I can still remembr the music but that isnt much use here. [img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Best Game

Postby adidas on Wed May 30, 2001 3:57 pm

Helicopter game = Choplifter??
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Best Game

Postby were on Thu May 31, 2001 3:57 pm

might have been but goley miss molly, i can't remember it.... [img]images/smiles/icon_confused.gif[/img]
were
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Best Game

Postby adidas on Fri Jun 01, 2001 5:21 am

You know, if you're interested Damian's got a zip file full of 500+ Atari 2600 games in the roms section. It's less than 2 MB. A good emu to use is Z26.
adidas
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Best Game

Postby were on Sat Jun 02, 2001 7:47 am

z26 is the fuckin eh of all emulators.Its fast and nice gui screen.there are actually about 250+ games since most are clones. i eventually tried all of them including the err, adt games, which is the weirdest games fro the system.

do you have the betas?
were
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Best Game

Postby Silverhaze on Mon Jun 04, 2001 1:41 pm

Anybody got a good link to this z26 emu?
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Best Game

Postby were on Tue Jun 05, 2001 1:55 am

were
PCB Emperor
PCB Emperor

Best Game

Postby Silverhaze on Tue Jun 05, 2001 1:46 pm

Cheers were that was just what I was looking for. I'll try out these roms tonight.

Oh yeah, and while we are on the subject of great games a lot of you will have heard me waffling on about a little old game that goes by the name of CHUCKIE EGG. Now, this game is a classic of the Spectrum, BBC Micro and a couple of other systems maybe. This has always been one of my favourite games but for some reason never made it into my favourites list. I just forgot I think, but the time has finally come to show you all the power that is Chuckie Egg.

I found a site that has a PC conversion of the original game with no emulators involved. I havent tried it yet so I dunno how it compares to the original but the screen shots looks the same.

This is the BBC version: (anybody know how to get geocities images working?)
Sorry about the size

and this is the directX version running in a window.

You can all get the game using this link, please let me know what you think and remember that I was playing this game at 7 years of age. 17 years ago now. [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Direct X Chuckie Egg!

And finally, for all those that want to get a BBC Micro emulator running and want to play all these classic games. Check out this link to a great site I found.

Stairway to hell

[ 05 June 2001: Message edited by: Silverhaze ]
Silverhaze
Master Of The Universe

Best Game

Postby RabidYak on Wed Jun 06, 2001 12:28 am

Shit, I had Chuckie Egg on the speccy.

I might have to check that out later.
RabidYak
PCB King
PCB King

Previous